Saturday, May 15, 2010

Shane's Birthday at Naam

Tonight I had the absolute pleasure of being a part of a very top secret surprise birthday dinner for my good friend, Shane. Buddy had NO idea we were all in on it. He was completely convinced that Caroline, his girlfriend (and my sister) were going to go to Naam on their own -- Naam's this super famous vegetarian restaurant in Kitsilano that always has a lineup to get it, much like Antons in Burnaby. Anyways, so a few of us got there about 15-30 minutes ahead of Caroline & Shane... Jeff had gotten a table literally in the middle of the room right at the front... it'd have been perfect for Caroline & Shane to walk in to; however, by the time the birthday boy had arrived, the lineup had begun. We guests played the awkward game of "hide your face behind the menus"... I think the stress got to Caroline who received a bbm from me sayin 'just walk in'... Shane looked through the window and saw us, and was absolutely stunned... it was perfect!

Naam is this increble vegetarian restaurant... and I know what you're thinking... "do they only sell salads?" I was shocked at the menu, as was everyone else. There was so much to choose from! I had the Santa Fe Enchilada -- and let me tell you, I barely ate half of it (so yay, lunch tomorrow!) it was filled with beans, cheese, tofu, cilantro and tons of flavour... not to mention the massive side salad that came with... and it was all so relative inexpensive, especially considering their portions! there was live music and tons of interesting eclectic art figures around the room. I'm not even kidding... I wanna go back next... all 7 of us got different items, and they were all amazing looking.... ok, so Michaela's "steak" was a little questionable to a meat-lover... but, to each their own.

The most exciting part of this event was the sincere gratitude Shane expressed... at one point my friend said "I can't believe you did all of this, I've never had this done for me before." That, right there, is why small intimate yet meaningful events have so much impact. Shane's a genuine guy who will do anything for his friends and family, and yet is continually shocked when the gesture is returned. And that was the highlight of the night.... well, that, and the incredible food. Happy Bday Mr Shane... I may enjoy trying all your veg food, but you can't take away my love of chicken and steak :D

Happy Birthday, Shane! One bday down... 2 more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment